Tuesday, March 10, 2009

From Banners To Ballots

Our generation of young Indians, consisting of those between the ages of 21 to 28, is very lucky to around in India at this time. When the country, in fact, the whole world, is going through really interesting times. And more than just being witnesses, we have the chance to be a part of the the events that will shape our future, for the good or for the bad. Only time will tell which way we go, but time will also tell whether we tried or not. Trying, is what I am doing, by being a part of the events leading up to and during the General Elections and chronicling my observations and views based on my experiences.

And that begins with my efforts to get the Voter ID Card. Voting is the best way to express our opinions about our elected representatives and unless one votes any criticism of our elected representatives, their work or the lack of it and any blame on the political system holds no moral value. I hope to get my Voter ID Card as soon as possible and vote for the first time. Feel terrible for not having gotten my ID and voting during elections for the last six years, even though I was eligible.

I also hope to capture various activities from the ground on how parties mobilize workers and voters, on how the rallies and other campaign activities are held, how various media - different forms, languages and affiliations are reacting to the the election events and what do those who matter the most - the people have to say, or not have to say about the elections. I will also be keen on observing how the urban youth respond to the election activities and see how much of an interest they have in contributing to the most important activity in our democratic process - the elections.

1 comment:

  1. yeah..I got mine (voter ID) when I went home last weekend.Wish there was some way of getting the card transferred if the voter no longer resides in the constituency where the card has been issued...

    ReplyDelete